Free Online This free service is not available for cases that are already in litigation, urgent, that you presently have legal representation for, employment buy-outs only, or that are requested by another legal professional. If your case is any of these, we can talk about competitive fees for services you require. See 'My Law Practice' below.
- Verify that your issue falls into one of these areas of law: Simon's Practice Areas.
- Give me a concise, chronological and organized (500-word maximum) narrative of your situation. Do not send any documents unless I ask for them.
- Send a scan of your name ID: such as a driver's license, passport, health card, utility bill, etc. If in doubt as to the form of ID, ask.
- Read 'My Law Practice', below.
- All communications between us for the purpose of obtaining legal advice are subject to solicitor-client privilege and confidentiality, even if you do not hire me.
- This is a preliminary service provided to give us an idea of the legal issues involved in your case, and to initiate discussions that may lead to my being retained for fuller legal advice or services. A consultation is not meant to reach firm legal conclusions, and any reliance you place on it to guide your legal actions or inactions is at your own risk.
- I reserve the right to decline a free consultation for any reason.
My Law PracticeAfter 23 years of practicing law I am now disabled with limited mobility, and my legal practice for the last ten years has been restricted to serving self-represented individuals online. It is not a traditional bricks & mortar practice. If you hire me, you still directly manage your case as a self-represented individual - but with my online assessment, advice and guidance. All our contact is conducted by email (documents by scan).
My fee quotes are flat-rate for the work quoted, and they are HST-free. Terms are pre-payment in full. Payment is either by Interac email money transfer (preferred) or Paypal (with extra charges).You can confirm my status as a licensed and practicing Ontario lawyer through the Law Society of Ontario:
Law Society of Ontario Lawyer Directory
(just type in my name: "Simon Shields")